Friday, July 11, 2008

How many do you want?

When I read other IF blogs, all the women seem so desperate for their first (and only?) child. When we first started trying, I too looked forward to having a child. After surgery and multiple IUIs, I looked forward to having twins or triplets and I would have been disappointed with a singleton.
The emotional stress of fertility treatment was so high that I knew I could never go through it a second time. I also had to assume that I wouldn’t be able to get pregnant naturally for a second child, since I couldn’t do it for the first. And since I think it would be lonely to be an only child, the only chance my to-be-conceived child would have for a brother or a sister would be to have a twin.
I know that multiples have lots of health problems, but that didn’t change the way I felt.
I was actually happier having zero children than having just one.

5 comments:

Io said...

I want two children. I'd prefer to have two singletons, but really I would take anything. I just want a child.

luna said...

I've always wanted two children but I'd be grateful right now for just one. I never thought I'd have just one child. But I certainly never thought I'd have none.

loribeth said...

When I was a kid I used to say I wanted 10 children (!) -- mainly so that I could use all the names I had picked out, lol. My mother used to say she wanted four, until she had two and that was more than enough. ; ) Dh always said one, I always said two. As time started to run out, I felt that one was definitely better than none. And I do have one. She's just not here with me. :(

Guera! said...

Now that we are planning to adopt (before the minor hiccup of my husband losing his job) we would like to adopt a sibling group of 2 and then probably more within a year or two. If I were to get pregnant I would be happy with one.

Hope2morrow said...

Any number will work for me. Any number, that is, besides zero! :)