Thursday, May 8, 2008

At least 1282 others...

Despite my recent "going public" I am still struggling to think of infertility as the same as any other problem, not something to be ashamed of. Imagine if a friend asks if you are training for a marathon. You might respond that you would like to be, but you have a bum knee. That's how casual infertility should be. Is infertility so much more shameful because our society is embarrassed by anything related to sex?
I recently came across a rather impressive index of infertility blogs and found out that there are at least 1282 people out there doing the same thing I am, in different stages of IUI/IVF/adoption/living childfree.
It really makes me realize that I am not alone! I also need to check out some of those blogs to see what you are up to, and perhaps add a few more to my sidebar.

3 comments:

hopeyg said...

It is nice to know that there are others out there who know and have/are experiencing what you're going through. There's a line in the movie Shadowlands about the romance of C.S. Lewis which one of Lewis' students told him, "we read to know we are not alone." I like that quote. Love ya, Hoper

Anonymous said...

Maybe the reason it feels so much more "shameful" is that it strikes more at the core of what it means to be a woman; it is tied in with our sense of purpose? I don't know. Just an idea.

Io said...

Welcome to the IF blogosphere - nobody really wants to be here, but it's nice to know it exists!