Friday, May 23, 2008

The neighbor's cat

Our neighbor moved out about six weeks ago and we agreed to feed the cat and rabbit that she left behind. (She moved to a rural area and was afraid it would be unsafe for them.) The cat was 19 years old, afraid of people, and I often wondered if she might be deaf too. She also (so I heard from her former owner, since only once did the cat let me close enough to pet her) had a large tumor.

Last night she died in her sleep in the yard next door. I am relieved! I was afraid she had been suffering, and wondered what I should do when it became obvious. Her owner (the neighbor who moved out) is the kind of person who never throws anything away, and I was afraid that she was going to hold on to the cat in the same way, past the point of humanely taking care of her.

No comments: