Friday, April 11, 2008

Causing my own bad luck

Years ago, when I worked near Union Square in SF, I overheard a woman who had recently given birth rave about how Cocoa Butter Body Butter from the Body Shop had prevented her from getting stretch marks. Since then, I planned to buy that as soon as I became pregnant.

I had also read that learning-disabled babies needed encouragement to explore the world. It seemed reasonable that all babies would benefit from that. So, I planned to make a baby blanket using many differently-textured types of fabrics.

The first month that we started trying, I bought Cocoa Butter Body Butter from the Body Shop, and I bought a sewing machine.

I didn't start reading "What to Expect When You're Expecting" because that seemed a little too hopeful.

But then I didn't get pregnant, that month or any month after.

I gave away the body butter in the hopes of breaking the curse, but I still have the sewing machine.

No comments: